Sunday, November 18, 2012

Inside the Hagia Sophia

The Church of Holy Wisdom, or Hagia Sophia, has interested me since I first began to read about it, but I was unable to visualize how the interior may have appeared when it was a house of God. My lack of familiarity with Byzantine architecture did not help. I recently saw a reconstruction of the old St. Peter's basilica (in my previous post) and came across a similar reconstruction of the Hagia Sophia. It tours through many entrances, balconies, ambos, icons, and niches of the great cathedral of Constantinople. Enjoy.


Click on the video and look at the uploader's profile. There are many interesting reconstructions of the old church.

There is another one of the baptistery, which was a separate building with a Holy Table for Divine Liturgy.


No comments:

Post a Comment